Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Waiting on Wednesday: The Swan Gondola

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly feature created by Jill at Breaking the Spine, that gives bloggers the opportunity to highlight upcoming releases about which they are extremely excited. 

This week, I'm getting pumped for a release that's coming out really, really, really soon... tomorrow, actually! Detailing the transformative romance between a con man and a mysterious woman named Cecily, set against the vivid turn-of-the-century backdrop of the 1898 Omaha World's Fair, here is The Swan Gondola by Timothy Schaffert, set to debut February 6th

Billed towards those who have a passion for the circus-style setups of Water for Elephants and The Night Circus, The Swan Gondola uses the gritty, fast-paced development of the burgeoning city of Omaha at the dimming of the 19th century as a focal point for a magical whirlwind romance, as a ventriloquist con man named Ferret Skerritt falls in love with the enigmatic actress across the way, who reenacts Marie Antionette's tragic beheading for the stage every day, only to disappear into the crowds of the dusty city at the close of the midway. Carrying only her mysterious carpetbag and not speaking a word to the besotted admirer, Skerrit is desperate to find a way to catch Cecily's eye. However, after a moonlight whirl on the lagoon in one of the Exposition's swan-shaped gondolas, the magic of the Fair will change this blossoming relationship just like it will revolutionize the budding metropolis of Omaha, and nothing will be the same. 

Why I'm excited? 
Because the official blurb on their Goodreads page has all of the key words I never knew I needed in it: Wild West, scandalous burlesques, midnight seances, etc. And the leading player of the story is described as a "ventriloquist by trade, con man by birth," which, for whatever reason, has me suddenly imagining Flynn Rider with one of those creepy dummies from The Twilight Zone, and if that doesn't sound intriguing to you, I don't know what sort of magic it takes to peak your interest. 

Regardless, it's a romantic read with interesting characters and an imaginative story line set in an unfamiliar setting, and I'm super pumped. I know what I'll be spending my Valentine's Day with! (And I mean that in a very enthusiastic and excited way!) 

What novels are you waiting on this Wednesday? 

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a really good story. Thanks for putting it on my radar!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pick! This sounds really great, I really loved Water for Elephants and will definitely be keeping an eye out for this one. Thanks for sharing :) My WoW

    ReplyDelete