Saturday, February 8, 2014

Stacking the Shelves: The Mid-Quarter Slump Haul

Stacking the Shelves is a weekly Saturday book meme from Tynga's Reviews, all about sharing the books you've added to your shelves over the course of the week.

Well, we've won a Super Bowl, and braved below-freezing weather, and now, we've managed to survive half of Winter Quarter, up here in Seattle, and the effect of all of this on my psychological stability is manifesting itself in late nights, little free time, and at least one additional cup of tea every day. Despite the fact that all of the cogs turning in my life right now are leaving me with little opportunity for my own favored brand of escapism, I'm still on the lookout for new material, and thankfully, I'm still able to find it. Here's what I managed to find this week! 


FOR MY KINDLE



Pivot Point by Kasie West
I love following book bloggers on Twitter for many, many reasons, one of which is their ability to alert me to super cool deals on Amazon, including this hot YA title for only $1.99.

City of Mirrors (A Diana Poole Thriller) by Melodie Johnson Howe
A sophisticated and stylized Hollywood-set drama, involving aging starlet Diana Poole and the recently-discovered-deceased female lead of her new movie. Sounds like a cute, clipped thriller, and it's written by someone who worked in Hollywood, herself.

Real Happy Family: A Novel by Caeli Wolfson Widger
One of the Kindle First novels for February, this novel promises some really interesting concepts: flawed characters, a tumultuous family dynamic, and the precarious glitter of modern-day fame.

FROM VARIOUS FAMILY MEMBERS



Blasphemy by Sherman Alexie (from Dad)
Growing up in Washington, especially next door to Puyallup, you gain a pretty good appreciation for Native American culture, and after a junior year reading assignment for The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven, that included becoming a huge fan of Sherman Alexie as well.

Humans of New York by Brandon Stanton (from Mom)
Yeah, it's more of a coffee table book than an actual book, but I'm a huge fan of this photojournalism project, and I'm happy to support it, so when my mom told me she got it from a friend from work, I snapped up the chance to have a go at it first.

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell (from my sister)
My younger sister, The Ballerina, decided to start reading Rainbow Rowell before I was able to make that decision for myself, and now we're both fans. So now that she and her other middle school friends have all passed this copy around, her older sister finally gets a crack at it.

What's in your haul this week?

6 comments:

  1. YAY for Pivot Point! I'm seeing a lot of people with that one this week. I have an ARC from last year, but I have not read it yet. I really enjoyed Fangirl! It is quite an awesome contemporary novel :D

    Have a fabulous weekend!

    Check out my STS post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great haul! Enjoy all your great reads!!

    Stormi
    http://www.booksmoviesreviewsohmy.com/stacking-the-shelves-15/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice haul of books. I see some interesting ones. Heard good things about Pivot Point.


    Grace
    Books of Love
    http://gracebooksoflove.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I finally bought Pivot Point the other week, hope you enjoy it! :)
    Here's mine

    Kirsty @ StudioReads

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great haul! I got Pivot Point recently and can't wait to read it, have heard nothing but amazing things. I hope you enjoy all of your books :) My STS.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait to read Pivot Point, too! I think I got it in a Kindle deal a while ago, but still haven't read it yet. But I've heard nothing but great things about it!

    ReplyDelete