Monday, February 3, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: Books That Made Me Cry

"Top Ten Tuesday" is a weekly countdown meme, hosted by the Broke and the Bookish



You guys. I just did a post reviewing The Fault in Our Stars where I talked about how little books can make me cry, and now we've got an entire "Top Ten Tuesday" post dedicated to making me relive painful memories? How could you, I mean, really. Get your lifeboats ready, ladies and gents, because here comes the flood. 

JOHN GREEN IS MEAN
(and also, you know, gives voice to dreams, fears, and inhibitions that young adults need and want to hear, and stuff)
1. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green 
That one just hurt. HURT, hurt. 
2. Looking for Alaska by John Green 
Taking it from experience, now, having one of your friends die is one of the worst things that can ever possibly happen to you, so don't read this book unless you want to know what that feels like. 

WHY DO I LOVE YOU ANYWAYS
Series that will always have a place in my heart, but did a fair amount of ripping it out of my chest to do so.
3. Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas
GOD DAMMIT SARAH, I love you, but you know what you did. Anyone who read the book knows what I'm talking about. 
4. Harry Potter and the Sadness That Consumes the Entire Damn Series Once the Stuff Hits the Fan in Book 5
We're not even going to talk about how woefully unprepared my untested mettle was for the marathon of torment that came from reading the tail end of this series. And just to keep from embarrassing myself further, we won't mention the movies, either. 

THIS IS FOR CHILDREN???
Let it be here stated that in each of these cases, a well-qualified librarian actually let me check these things out, without warning me of the tragedy that would befall me and my uncultured soul beforehand.
5. The Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Peterson
Well, let me now avoid all rope swings for the rest of my life. 
6. Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls
In a blindingly apparent brush with conformity in my more formative years, I tried to get into books with animals in them. BIG mistake. 

THE NAZIS SUCK AND I HATE THEM
I mean, duh, self-explanatory, and hence the reason why any and all books about WWII are to be avoided at all costs. 
7. The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne
I don't think I can come up with a good reason for me thinking this was a children's book, but I read it in one morning before fencing practice in the seventh grade, and let's just say that my parry was a bit impaired that day. 
8. The Diary of Anne Frank
No matter how extraordinarily precocious you think your third grade daughter is, do not, DO NOT, let her do a biographical book report about Anne Frank. She will lose it completely in front of her class, and it will not be okay. 

WHY DIDN'T I JUST SEE THE MOVIE
9. The Help by Kathryn Stockett
Inequality really, really sucks, guys. 
10. The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky 
I actually went on recommending this one to my sister, The Cheerleader, so what kind of big sister does that make me, anyways? 

WHAT ARE YOUR TOP TEN? 

4 comments:

  1. Ah yes! Bridge to Terabithia made my list too. You're right, I remember being quite horrified in addition to emotionally distraught as an adolescent reading this book. Great list! :)

    Amanda @ i solemnly swear

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES! I totally agree with every book on your list (apart from the 4 I haven't read). The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas completely destroyed me. It was years before I could even watch the movie and the movie was actually a million times worse. I've only read one John Green Book - TFiOS - but it looks like I'll probably cry at Looking for Alaska as well. CROWN OF MIDNIGHT WAS JUST SO CRUEL AND HEARTBREAKING.
    I'm avoiding Bridge to Terabithia at all costs (book and movie). I don't think I can handle it.
    Great list! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe I forgot to put Bridge to Terabithia on my list! That was probably the first book that ever made me cry. Oh my god, it's so sad. The Fault in Our Stars made my list as well...SO MANY TEARS. I just bought The Boy in the Striped Pajamas...I'll have to remember to keep the tissues on hand when I read that one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great picks. I sobbed my heart out watching Bridge to Teribithia and am now too scared to read the book. I also picked Deathly Hallows, I pretty much cry from beginning to end. My TTT :)

    ReplyDelete