Friday, January 3, 2014

College Fashion Post Link Up: Jane Austen's Emma

I, like quite a few of the bookish folk of the Internet, was enamored with last year's YouTube breakout webseries, the hit show that modernized the quintessential British novel in a way I have never seen done so successfully before, The Lizzie Bennet Diaries. The show followed the titular Bennet sister through 100 webisodes of the humor, drama, and miscommunication that we've come to expect from the old-but-never-antiquated tale of Pride and Prejudice.

Therefore, when I heard that Bernie Su, Hank Green, and the rest of Pemberley Digital were making another long-term series this year - after the not-as-interesting sojourn to Sanditon this past summer - I was primed and ready to fall in love with Miss Emma Woodhouse even more than the first time I watched Clueless (her name was Cher Horowitz then, but still, you know that was an adaptation, right?). Emma Approved did not disappoint in the slightest, and I'm already loving the new interpretations of old characters, as well as the fact that Emma's cheerfully domineering attitude perfectly translates to the life of a lifestyle blogger. I'd just manages to reach full-on obsession status with the show... when, after it's 24th episode in, it decided to go on hiatus for the month of January!

Not to be left alone with my feelings, of course, I grabbed my copy of Emma, and set about a send-up to the story in a College Fashion article, which, like I said yesterday, premiered on the very first of the year.

In fact, today, a year ago, was the day my very first article as a contributing editor premiered on the site... what an anniversary! This year, in my opinion, has made me a stronger writer and a more discerning reader, and has given me a better sartorial eye and a thicker skin (criticism has never been a medicine I've particularly enjoyed taking). I'm so happy to have written for such a great website for a full year, and I'm excited to do it again in 2014.

To celebrate, here's one of my favorite outfits from the Emma post: inspired by the verve, wit, and spunk of the titular heroine!

No comments:

Post a Comment