Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Tastee-Reads Cookbook Recommendations: Cravings, Real Food Real Simple, Rise & Shine



Anyone else just really love reading through cookbooks? Maybe it's from spending all my formative years getting under my mom's feet in the kitchen, but there's nothing quite as meditative and relaxing as cracking open an old cookbook, and finding something new inside.

While I don't get the chance to purchase new cookbooks often, something I really love doing is checking them out of the library. When my own culinary collection gets a little too recognizable for my liking, getting cookbooks from the library helps me break out of my rut, find new food ideas, and experiment in the kitchen. Don't get me wrong, I love Pinterest for planning out great menu ideas or paring down exactly how long carrots need to roast in the oven... but there's nothing like carefully turning the pages of a hefty cooking tome to really get you in the mind to create.

That's why I started reviewing cookbooks on the blog before, in the hopes that others like me might find a little inspiration in these choices, as well, and maybe try out a few new recipes of their own. Three cheers for the local library!


25982685
Cravings: Recipes for All the Food You Want to Eat, Chrissy Teigen

I didn't originally get the hype about Chrissy Teigen, but after following her on Twitter, I quickly realized that this model mama and wife of crooner John Legend was just as hilarious as she is gorgeous. Now, after reading this cookbook, I understand that I have to add another credit to Chrissy's name: she certainly knows how to make cooking entertaining.

Her sense of humor glows throughout this collection of her favorite snacks, treats, sweets, and more, for any time of day, and her signature candor and eye for aesthetics make sure that the unique recipes have just as much story and style as they have substance. With menus that reference a wide range of cooking styles and genres, and ingredients lists that remain accessible while still stretching outside typical culinary comfort zones, this pick is perfect for those looking to up their gourmand game, without straying too far from the box (or their bank account).

However, what you might want to mind is the belt: Chrissy is upfront about the food's sometimes not-so-healthy status... the book is called Cravings, after all, and no one has a craving for iceberg lettuce.


29939404Real Food, Real Simple: 80 Delicious Paleo-Friendly, Gluten-Free Recipes in 5 Steps or Less, Taylor Riggs, RDN

At the start of the new year, I - like many - set the intention to start eating better food in my life. That doesn't necessarily mean going vegan, but it does mean incorporating more fresh produce, and less processed food. When I saw this book was recommended by one of my favorite bloggers, I immediately placed a hold at the library.

When this book promises less steps, they mean it: the recipes included in this involve less instructions, less ingredients, and less clean-up. However, they lean so far in the direction of minimalism, they almost seem to skimp out on one of the reasons I enjoy eating food in the first place: flavor.

While I'm sure the austere edibles included in this pristine and brief selection are perfect for those of us looking to significantly reduce their meat and dairy intake, they're just not to my particular taste. However, if you're interested in an easy-start entrance to plant-based eating, this might be just the selection for you!


27876518Rise and Shine: Better Breakfasts for Easy Mornings, Katie Sutherland Morford

Breakfast is hands-down my favorite meal, but something I rarely get to take my time with on a regular basis. Rise and Shine brings together some of the favorite morning meals of cookbook author and nutritionist Morford, and her three daughters, for a unique and comprehensive take on delicious - but still quick - ways to start the day.

With chapters divided by categories like "Eggs," "Toast," "Pancakes," and more, there are plenty of offerings for whatever flavor craving you have, and whatever your choice is, they're sure to be short on ingredients, but long on flavor (as the longest lists I could find were only about nine!).

With plenty of out-of-the-box ideas, from savory morning fried rice, cottage cheese and radish toast, and even pimento and cheddar egg pie, to the sweetness of breakfast baked apples, ginger apricot granola, and applesauce molasses donuts, your morning meals are set for the week. Along with plenty of tips and tricks on what to prepare ahead of time, and how to make the best use of those precious AM hours, this collection is sure to infuse your mornings with a little more sunshine.


Do you like reading cookbooks? Which of these books would you want to check out of your local library? Let me know, in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment