Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Top Ten Tuesday: Books on my Spring (Break!) TBR

"Top Ten Tuesday" is a weekly bookish meme brought to you by The Broke and the Bookish!
Currently stuck deep in the mire of Finals Week here at the University of Washington - I've got one paper due today, and my last Final is Thursday morning! - all I want to do is pack my luggage, grab a few books off of my nightstand, and make my way back to my home, where my younger sister, Delaney, has been happily installed since Sunday afternoon.

And curse you, sunshine and cherry blossoms - and dying laptops and power outages! - for only making it harder to concentrate!

While daydreaming about a week's worth of free time over Spring Break makes for the perfect study interruption, I've become more fixated on the special stacked shelves over under my window, and thinking about all the books I'm going to read. SO, today's TTT topic couldn't be any more appropriate, not just for what books I want to read this Spring... more like what books I want to read this Spring BREAK!


for the first time (fiction)

1. Shivaree, J.D. Horn
I've reviewed work from this author before, but not for a long time... I was recently sent this novel as an ARC, and I can't wait to dive back in to Horn's creepy Southern style!

2. A Fine Imitation, Amber Brock
Another ARC I've been sent recently - this time, in eBook form! - I'm pretty excited to dive into one of my favorite time periods, the 1920s!

3. Vicious, V. E. Schwab
I've had my eye on this for a ridiculously long time, and have had my hands on a physical copy since I bought it January 2nd, so I've been waiting for just the right time to read this one... which means I've been waiting way too long!

4. The Rest of Us Just Live Here, Patrick Ness
Yet another title I've been making grabby hands at for too long, I have had this copy on my shelf for an awful amount of time, just like Vicious. You can bet that these are two that are going to be ticked off my TBR as soon as I can!

5. The Book of Lost Things, John Connolly
I read this book for the first time back in middle school, after the well-worn copy was passed on to me by a friend. That copy has long since been returned to its owner, but a couple of weeks ago, I picked up one for myself, after hearing other bloggers talking about its recent cover redesign! The cover itself is awful, but I'm looking forward to jumping back into this creepy fairy tale again soon.

for the first time (non-fiction)

6. The Autobiography of St. Therese of Lisieux
My Lenten promise for this year was to read more works of faith, and while I'm still happily chugging along through Pope Francis' The Name of God Is Mercy, I was really looking forward to reading this one. Besides, it's short!

7. Why Not Me?, Mindy Kaling
Yet another copy I lusted after forever, only to sit despondently on my shelves once I had it in my grasp. Badly done, Savannah! No time like Finals Week Recovery for Kaling's lighthearted stories. If Is Everything Hanging Out Without Me gave me any indication, I'll be rolling on the floor!

REreads

8. Secret Garden, Frances Hodgson Burnett
When the daffodils and tulips poke their heads out of the ground every Spring, I'm tempted to return to one of my favorite stories from my childhood. Even the movie soundtrack is enough to send me into a nostalgia tailspin...

9. Hamlet, William Shakespeare
I just switched my Capstone class from an intensive reading of James Joyce's Ulysses, to explorations of the influence of printed periodicals into the rise of Modernism; however, the recommended Spring Break reading of Hamlet was an idea that stuck with me through the change. There's never a wrong time for Shakespeare!

10. Bloodhound (Beka Cooper #2), Tamora Pierce
I just reread my copy of Terrier, the first in the series, for Read Across America Day, and now I have a sincere need to reread the rest of the trilogy, too. Can't be helped!



What's in your Top Ten? Let me know, in the comments below! 

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with your last week of school!

    I love the idea of A Secret Garden spring re-read. Maybe I will see if I can get my eight year old to give it a try with me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how your list is split up! A reread of the Secret Garden sounds lovely. I haven't read any Patrick Ness - I think I really need to remedy that this year.

    ReplyDelete