Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday: Best Book Covers

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by book blogger The Broke and the Bookish.

I originally was going to skip this week's Top Ten, mainly because I haven't been able to post all of this past week, and I didn't like the idea of two TT posts running back to back! However, I have quickly realized that A. I don't care, B. it's not my fault I'm busy, and C. I really wanted to tackle this topic. :) 

So, without further ado, some of my favorite book covers! 



1. The Great Gatsby, by F. Scott Fitzgerald
I love, love, love iconic covers, and this one is probably my favorite. The glittering lights in the background, the mysterious face floating about the city, the fact that I didn't even notice that there were two naked ladies reflected in the eyes until my friends pointed it out to me... this is a book cover with a real story behind it, and I'm not talking about Gatsby himself.

2. The Catcher in the Rye, J.D. Salinger
My fascination with this cover is incredibly similar to my #1 spot. The demonically red and slightly terrifying merry-go-around horse, the background of NY in repose... gorgeous.

3. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, by J.K. Rowling
I remember the day this cover was released. I actually think it was my first example of cover art frenzy: we had been chilling out in choir class in middle school, when my friend runs in with a fresh printout of a news release for the cover. We gathered around the picture and probably looked like we were planning a coup, due to how closely we sat and conspired, and debated over what the new book would include, based on the presence of specific elements in the cover art; at least, until, the bell rang, and class began.

4. The Selection, by Kiera Cass.
Beautiful cover. I only wish the story didn't suck quite so bad. (Read my review here).

5. The Night Circus, by Erin Morgenstern.
Terrifically bold, striking and gorgeous. And I actually liked this story. (Read my review here).

6. The Lovebird, by Natalie Brown.
A recent release, and one that I should have reviewed for you all by now! Unfortunately, I haven't really had the time to sit down and think it all out fully. Sorry! :( (Coming soon, though).

7. The Unwritten (Tommy Taylor and the Bogus Identity), by Mike Carey and Peter Gross.
Alright, alright, nerd alert: I am a comic book fan. This particular series, about a man who finds out that the ties between the realms of reality and literature are a lot more permeable than he would have originally thought, is probably one of the coolest I've read. The covers are particularly gorgeous, as is befitting a comic book of its caliber. Come to think of it, I should probably review this book, too.

8. Breakfast at Tiffany's, by Truman Capote.
I don't know, maybe it's the cherry red nail polish. Or its the way she holds the pencil. Or the bracelet on her hand. Or her hastily scrawled title. I don't know, I just like it.

9. Folger Shakespeare Library titles.
Okay, I'm a huge Shakespeare fan, too, and these are my favorite editions to buy. They are the easiest for me to read, and they are the ones I'm used to, so therefore, they are best. :) I always get inordinately excited when I see one of these covers, and I'm likely to buy it, if I don't have it already.

10. Into the Wild, by Jon Krakauer.
Again, not sure I like this one. Maybe its the bus, that tells its own story. Or the words spelled out already in the bottom, as if the story's too excited to tell itself that it can't even contain it within it's own cover. I just like it. :)

What are your favorite book covers? 

No comments:

Post a Comment