Thursday, March 31, 2011

Sharing Time

Bedrooms. Desserts. Boyfriends. There are just some things in life that are not meant to be shared. Case in point: It's Spring Break right now, and vacation lodging plans usually entail the Cheerleader and I stuck squished into a queen sized bed. Not terribly comfortable, seeing as though she seems to practice her moves in her sleep (and I've got a sore spot on my shoulder to prove it). While my sister and I are reasonably close, and in fact, a lot closer than some of the other pairs of siblings we know, we don't really share that much, other than interesting gossip pertaining to celebrities we love, and well-meant hair/ makeup tips(the sporadic "boy, your hair sure looks awful today"s not included). However, after the disastrous elbow-to-neck-at-3:00am incident, we did manage to find a better way of sharing this week: I traded her Diana Wynne Jones' Howl's Moving Castle for the first two installments of Sara Shepard's Pretty Little Liars series, Pretty Little Liars and Flawless. It seemed to work out for the both of us (and with a bedroom to myself now, we seem to be on better terms, as well). I have to hurry up now, because she wants to check her Facebook, and she's probably going to hover over my shoulder until I let her. Anyways, the trade did work out really well. I've actually been pressing her to read Howl's Moving Castle for some time now, seeing as though we both happen to share a penchant for Miyazaki, and that specific movie of his is one of our favorites. She enjoyed the book, but she is one of those people who is just so trained on fast-paced soap-opera-esque drama books that she kept leaning over and asking what was going to happen next, if this person was this, or whatever. Apparently, I need to hurry up, because she says that if I don't, then she's going to implode, and then she'll "never learn how to drive." (she just got her learner's, by the way). I really enjoyed the Pretty Little Liars books. I haven't really had much interest in them before now, and haven't been following the television series, but I do have enough of an interest in teen-girl magazines to know the basic plot. However, even with that minor exposure, I still managed to find a few discrepancies between television and print. But not enough to make me dislike it, or get me confused. Honestly, I don't like that many dramatic YA novels, but this series is pretty cool. And the benefit of my coming into the series at this point is that not only is it already over, so I can read them closer together, but the Cheerleader has already collected them all for me. :) Happy Spring Break, even if it is winding down for most of us now. My sister needs to use the computer.

No comments:

Post a Comment