Monday, August 2, 2010

Roses


I'm definitely a romantic, in every sense of the word. I know the true value of a happy ending, something Jane Austen has taught me just as well as Walt Disney has. "Love conquering all obstacles" and "happily ever after", however, are not phrases you find popping up throughout your local news program. I firmly rely on my assortment of fairy tale reduxes to give me my fix. If those fairy tales are set in modern day New York, then it's only all the better!


That's where the book Beastly, by Alex Flinn, comes in. I was originally interested in this novel because it was being made into a movie, starring some of my favorite actors, including Vanessa Hudgens and Neil Patrick Harris. Originally set to debut on July 30th, the movie is now set to premiere on March 18th, 2011. This has allowed me time to actually read the book, and now, more than ever, I am psyched to see this movie.


The reworked modern take on the classic Beauty & the Beast story follows young Kyle Kingsbury, as he majorly ticks off a witch, gets transformed into a beast, and, ostracized from his embarrassed father and shallow friends, longs to find his true love. Cue the "aaaaawwww"s. It's an adorable book, and a very quick read (as in, I read it all before I had to drop off my siblings to their a.m. swim class this morning).


So, all in all, great book, can't wait to see the movie. And they lived happily ever after :)

1 comment: